Savor the last of summer produce with this Watermelon, Feta, Avocado, and Jalapeño Salad! Served with a White Balsamic-Lime Vinaigrette that makes all the flavors pop, there is no better way to celebrate the end of summer.
Something really magical happens when you blend fatty, creamy avocado with juicy, sweet watermelon. When feta comes to the party it brings all of it’s salty gloriousness. The jalapeño makes it a bit spicy, which if you’re like me and you enjoy spice, it is the missing link of this salad. If you prefer low heat, remove the seeds, or simply leave out – it certainly will not be lacking in flavor, it just won’t be spicy. Top with pepitas for crunch. I used raw but toasted would also be yummy.
Feel free to serve this salad on whatever greens you have on hand. I used baby kale mixed with a sprout blend. Arugula would be great! As would classic mixed greens and baby spinach. I definitely recommend something leafy with flavor over something watery and crunchy like romaine or iceberg.
I was really, really happily surprised with how tasty the white balsamic-lime vinaigrette went with the salad. White balsamic is sweet like regular balsamic, but it is much brighter. If you do not have it on hand, I recommend purchasing. It is one of my favs for making dressings and marinades. However, if you prefer, regular balsamic and white wine vinegar are great subs.
How to Make the Watermelon, Feta, Avocado, and Jalapeño Salad with White Balsamic-Lime Vinaigrette
Servings: One large or two small appetizer-sized salads
Time: 15 minutes
- watermelon, cubed (1.5 cups)
- 1/2 avocado, cubed
- 1 ounce of feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 jalapeño, sliced (I left seeds in but remove for less spice or leave out altogether if you prefer)
- 2 tbsp. of pepitas (I used raw but you can roast or sub any crunchy thing you like!)
- 2 ounces of salad greens (roughly 3 cups lightly packed; I used baby kale and a sprout blend mixed together. See above for suggestions)
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp of lime juice
- 1/8 tsp. of black pepper
- Once everything is prepped, pile the salad greens into a bowl and top with the watermelon, avocado, feta, jalapeño, and pepitas.
- To make the dressing, combine the EVOO, white balsamic, lime juice, and black pepper and whisk or shake in a small jar to emulsify.
- Top salad with dressing, toss, and serve!