These Honey-Hot Roasted Carrots are a grown-up version of the microwaved carrots with butter and salt that my mom served me when I was young. The sweetness of the carrots, creaminess of the butter, and seasoning from the salt was always so satisfying.
Here, the sweetness of the carrots is enhanced via roasting in parchment paper. This accomplishes just a touch of the browning you would get from roasting, without the bitterness, plus the steam action that makes the carrots fork-tender. Butter’s sweetness and slight tang is the no-brainer fat to add, but coconut oil would be a similarly good vegan sub. Honey enhances the natural flavors. Not to mention adds floral notes with additional sweetness that goes oh-so-well with the butter. If you have ever had honey and butter on, say a biscuit, you know that combo is arguably of the gods themselves! Finally, heat is added via garlic and red pepper flake. The garlic is optional, and you can omit or add really depending on how you feel or what you are serving it with. Likewise for any spice-opposed people, leaving out the garlic and/or pepper flake but following the process will leave you with the sweet-forward veggie side of your dreams.
This parchment process could not be any easier! You can also use foil if you do not have parchment paper. Just add all ingredients to the middle of a piece large enough to encompass the carrots in, crinkle the edges as best you can to cover any openings, and slide into the oven.
Doesn’t my packet look like a carrot? That was completely unintentional 😂.
One key thing: make sure you only add the honey in the last 3-5 minutes or so. Any longer and it will liquify too much, reducing the amount of glaze and flavor that you get on the carrots. You want to add it at the end when everything is basically tender and ready, and then place it back in the oven just until the honey warms through and melts. Stir to mix everything evenly and you are done!
These carrots are an all-star that will go with many, many meals. This is one of my go-to sides when I have no time for creativity but still want something delicious and home-made. I particularly like to serve these carrots with BBQ.
How to make Honey-Hot Roasted Carrots
Time: 45 minutes
- 1/2 pound of carrots, cut into 1/4-1/2 inch rounds
- 1 clove of garlic, minced (about 1/4 packed tsp.)
- 1 tbsp. ghee (or butter or coconut oil)
- 1 tsp. honey
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place carrots, garlic, red pepper flakes, and pinch of salt onto the middle of the parchment paper. Place half of the butter on top.
- Fold and crinkle the edges of the parchment paper around the carrots to form a packet. It does not have to be perfect, but try to cover all openings as much as possible. Alternatively, you can staple it shut, which I have done if I accidentally cut too small of a piece of parchment paper to crimp adequately around the carrots.
- Place packet on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes. Check carrots around 30 minutes to see if they have reached your desired tenderness. I like mine to be very soft, so I usually go for 40 minutes. IMPORTANT: when checking the carrots, be careful opening the packet. The steam inside is hot! Do not burn yourself.
- When the carrots are done to your liking, open the packet and add the honey. Stir. Return the carrots to the oven (with the packet open) and cook for another 3-5 minutes until the honey is melted and the carrots are slightly caramelized.
- Remove from the oven. Stir, taste and add additional salt.