Breakfast salads are one of the most satisfying ways to start the day IMO. Packed with protein, fat, and veggies, I feel fuller for longer with less cravings than I feel when I start the day with lots-o-carbs. These benefits aside, this bacon and egg breakfast salad with sumac vinaigrette is freaking delicious!
Bacon and eggs are a classic combo with so much nostalgia for me. To take it just a step further, the egg is fried in the bacon fat after the bacon is cooked until perfectly crispy. It is all about those runny yolks y’all – and this egg did not disappoint. Baby arugula is one of my favorite greens and the slight bitterness was really well suited for this dish. Tomatoes provide some juicy, sweet notes and avocado gives all the creamy goodness we have come to know and love.
The vinaigrette is a simple combo of extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, garlic (clearly I can’t make a salad dressing without it 😋) and sumac. Sumac is a gorgeous spice with a deep purple-red color and intense citrusy bite. To me it has a flavor between lemon and grapefruit. It is such a bright flavor with just a touch of pepper and herby notes. It is a great ingredient and it breathed so much life into this salad. Combined with the egg yolk, the vinaigrette is rich with just enough tang to keep you coming back for another bite!
Bacon and Egg Breakfast Salad with Sumac Vinaigrette
Servings: 1 large salad
Time: 15 minutes
- 2.5 cups of arugula (or other leafy green), lightly packed
- 1 cup of sliced grape tomatoes
- 1/2 an avocado, sliced into cubes
- 1 egg
- 2 slices of bacon (thick cut is best)
- 1.5 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove (1/4 tsp. or less, grated)
- 1/4 tsp. ground sumac
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat, flipping every minute or two, until crisp. Remove from the skillet and place on paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- While bacon is cooking, make the vinaigrette by combining olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, sumac, and a pinch of salt. Shake in a small jar or whisk to emulsify.
- Pour 2/3 of the bacon fat out of the pan. Return pan to heat. Crack egg over the pan into the remaining bacon fat. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes until whites are set but yolk is still runny.
- While egg cooks, place arugula, tomatoes, and avocado chunks on a plate. Crumble bacon over the top. Add vinaigrette and toss to distribute it evenly.
- Place cooked egg over the dressed salad. Top with an additional sprinkle of sumac, if desired, and serve.