In an effort to use up a bunch of carrots I had on hand, I discovered the greatness that is this browned butter mashed carrots with cinnamon and nutmeg.
OMG the natural sweetness and flavor of the carrots goes so well with browned butter. It is like going to toasty-nutty-carrot heaven – not sweet enough for dessert, but with these complex and deep caramel-y notes that I never would have thought would go so well with carrots. I have always been a fan of sweet potatoes and browned butter, but this carrot mash honestly takes the [carrot] cake. Plus it is silky smooth, lighter in texture, and low(er) carb than sweet potatoes.
This side is easy to make and freezes well. It uses a pound of carrots, so you can just buy one of those pound bags and go. The carrots are pureed with a healthy amount of browned butter, a bit of coconut milk for creaminess (no coconut flavor remains), and just a hint of cinnamon and nutmeg. These spices give it more complexity but do not stand out – which is what I was going for. You can def adjust the levels to your tastes. I also added a small squirt of honey because I love it so much with carrots, but this is completely optional and the amount really will depend on how sweet your carrots are. Taste your puree first and then add some if you want the sweetness to shine through more.
If you have ever read any of my posts you know how important I find salt to be – and this recipe is no exception. In fact, with something on the sweet side, you really need salt to balance it out. Luckily, you can add the salt in as you puree it and simply taste it until you like the balance. It’s very forgiving and ultra tasty – you can’t lose!
Browned Butter Mashed Carrots with Cinnamon and Nutmeg
Servings: makes just over 2 cups, about 4 servings
Time: 25 minutes
- 1 lb. of carrots, sliced into 1 inch chunks
- 3 tbsp. of unsalted butter
- 1.5 tbsp. coconut milk or half n’ half or milk
- 1/3 tsp. of cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. of freshly grated nutmeg
- honey (optional, depending on your tastes and the sweetness of your carrots)
- Steam the carrots until fork tender
- Allow carrots to cool slightly and transfer to a food processor
- When carrots are in the processor, begin the browned butter. Place butter in a pan and heat over medium until the milk solids turn brown and the butter smells caramel-y and toasty. When it is ALMOST done, add the cinnamon and nutmeg – this will allow the spices to ‘bloom’.
- Pour browned butter mixture over the carrots.
- Turn on processor and pour milk of choice into the spout.
- Process until completely smooth. Scrape down sides as needed.
- Taste and add honey and salt.